Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 22:35:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      thursday@altavista.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   networking weirdness

Hi,

I have a PentiumII running FreeBSD 4.0 with a 3Com nic installed.

It ran fine with 20 days of uptime, when suddenly the machine was not available on the network any longer. Then a few hours later it was pingable again, then, later it wasn't. Regardless of whether the I could ping other machines from this one, I was always able to ping 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.1.4, its own IP address (one of our sysadmins at work suggested I try this).

I've tried swapping out the cables, power-cycling the machine, and the hub, all to no avail. Then, the next day, I again swapped the cable, power-cycled the machine, and *viola*, I can ping other machines on the internal network, but no machines outside...until a little later, when all was back to normal.

Since I hadn't done anything to the machine's configuration, I'm assuming that this is simply a bad NIC, but...before I replace it or spend time swapping a NIC out of another machine & testing that hypothesis (time is a little more scarce than money right now), I thought I'd ask some people with more networking experience than I have...

So, what do you think? Bad NIC or some buggy problem with ifcongig or the drivers or something??

Thanks!