Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 13:28:06 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Posthuman <posthuman@sbcglobal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ident2 question.

On 2002-02-12 23:36, Posthuman wrote:

> I installed ident2, but am having a problem. It won't load on start up.
> I have to go to /usr/local/sbin/ every time on boot and start it
> manually. Any suggestions how can I make it start up automatically on
> boot?

You have to roll a script of your own in /usr/local/etc/rc.d that will fire
up the ident2 server at system boot (and kill it when system goes down).
It has to understand 'start' and 'stop' arguments,
so it could be something as simple as:

	#!/bin/sh
	case $1 in
	start)
		/usr/local/sbin/ident2
		echo -n ' ident2'
		;;
	stop)
		killall -15 ident2 >/dev/null 2>&1
		sleep 1
		killall -9 ident2 >/dev/null 2>&1
		echo -n ' ident2'
	esac

Save this to a file called ident2.sh in /usr/local/etc/rc.d and make it
executable.  All the executable *.sh files of this directory will get
picked and run at startup and shutdown time, by the system scripts.

Giorgos Keramidas                           FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}      http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/