Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 22:26:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@aracnet.com>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix 2000...

> My other
> thing is.... Windows 2k is NOT easy to setup if you do all the profiles
> and security that Microsoft wants you to use.. Plus, it seems like
> quite a few tools have migrated BACK to the command prompt... The more I
> get into it, the more like a new "graphical" Unix clone it feels
> like... granted it's a Unix clone with a Microsoft outlook on things.

Nearly all of the setup you have to do can be scripted or automated in
some way, including user profiles.  Registry files and batch user profile
creation are your friends.  Of course Microsoft doesn't tell anyone you
can merge a handful of registry files and do 98% of the configuration
instantaneously, nor do they distribute the tools or docs for doing
so.  They'd rather sell you a five-figure MSCE course to teach you how to
smash your head against Configuration Wizards properly.  But I agree, 2k
is a pain to setup manually.