Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 1995 13:51:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        phk@ref.tfs.com, mark@grondar.za, barry@nacm.com, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, security@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: key exchange for rlogin/telnet services?

> > Because there wasn't one.
>
> What are the chances of "sanitising" a diff so I can track you work here?
> I have some of the DES stuff available.

46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
					 ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Something closely approximating zero, because I do not have a clue as to
what is legal and/or allowable, and I don't really have the time to go figure
it out.  If somebody has a short, clear, and concise definition available of
what is legal, I might reconsider.  If another US resident would like to
deal with this, *by* *all* *means* I would be willing to hand this over to
that party.  I am simply not interested in potentially violating some rather
ugly (but senseless) laws and get tossed in some deep Federal dungeon
somewhere..

> > Because of stupid governmental regulations, my offer is only open to folks
> > whom I could legally hand a copy of DES to.  Since I don't know the legal
> > aspects any further than that, I am not interested in pursuing this any
> > further than perhaps a cooperative cleanup effort of some sort.  I don't have
> > the time to try substituting a different type of encryption, making it work
> > with the "exported" DES, et al.  :-(  Too many other fires under my butt
> > right now.  But I would be delighted to work on cleaning up the code, if
> > someone else (particularly someone who has worked with the FreeBSD trees and
> > is familiar with the 4.4 Makefile stuff/etc) is willing to help.
>
> I would certainly be interested in any _LEGAL_ diffs you could give me. I
> do not mind re-creating work if that is what it takes.

I didn't do anything very rocket-science'y with the DES stuff - basically a
lift and switch with the original Kerberos stuff, as my memory has it.
There was a lot of playing around to get it to compile up the clients, however,
and if someone could clean it up, it could be cool...

... Joe