Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2017 06:42:28 +1100
From:      grenville armitage <garmitage@swin.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Cc:        david@catwhisker.org, Lawrence Stewart <lstewart@room52.net>, Rasool Al-Saadi <ralsaadi@swin.edu.au>
Subject:   Re: ipfw(8) and additional scheduling algorithm specifications

Hi David,

The  related documentation update did fall between the cracks, and is curre=
ntly sitting in https://reviews.freebsd.org/D12507

cheers,
gja

On 12/16/2017 07:35, David Wolfskill wrote:
> I've started looking into configuring ipfw & dummynet to see if
> FQ-CoDel might improve things for my home Internet connection
> (residential ADSL).
>
> In the process of reviewing the available documentation, I note that
> ipfw(8) has:

> | The following case-insensitive parameters can be configured for a
> | scheduler:
> |
> | type {fifo | wf2q+ | rr | qfq}
> | specifies the scheduling algorithm to use.
>
> On the other hand, `cd /usr/src/sys/netpfil/ipfw; ls dn_{aqm,sched}*.c`
> shows:
>
> dn_aqm_codel.c dn_sched_fq_codel.c dn_sched_qfq.c
> dn_aqm_pie.c dn_sched_fq_pie.c dn_sched_rr.c
> dn_sched_fifo.c dn_sched_prio.c dn_sched_wf2q.c
>

> (This reflects head @r326875 and stable/11 @r326848.)
>
> So it seems that the list of scheduling algorithms in ipfw(8) is a bit
> more restricted than the code supports.
>
> Is this observation correct? If so, is it intentional?
>
> Thanks!
>
> I've set Reply-To.
>
> Peace,
> david
> --=20
> David H. Wolfskill david@catwhisker.org
> The US "cannot afford" Trump as President or Roy Moore in the Senate.
>
> See http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg <http://www.catwhisker=
.org/~david/publickey.gpg> for my public key.

--=20
Professor Grenville Armitage
School of Software and Electrical Engineering
Faculty of Science, Engineering and Technology
Swinburne University of Technology, Australia
http://i4t.swin.edu.au/people/garmitage