Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 08:18:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net (David Kelly)
Cc:        kstewart@urx.com, tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CD-RW drive: how?

> > Most of us probably use burncd to do out ATAPI cdrom burning.
>
> Gee, I thought cdrecord's ATAPI support was heavily tied to the Linux
> SCSI emulation layer? Didn't even think to look and see if it would do
> my Sony 160E as had assumed burncd was the only way. And may still be
> the only way.

The ATAPI/SCSI stuff is missing in FreeBSD.  OpenBSD has it.

> Must say I'm terribly pleased with burncd. Used cdrecord in the past on
> SCSI CD-R's, under FreeBSD and Irix, and can't say I loved the way it
> locked up the system for 5 or 10 seconds when starting.
>
> I'm wondering about burncd for SCSI CD-R/RW's...

I think the lockup is starting up team and dd at rtprio 5 to
keep the CDROM writer streaming, regardless of whatever else
is running on the system.

I'm using rtprio 5 with burncd (now that I have it working: you
should definitely install mkisofs from packages instead of ports
because of the wierd "apple patch" that it wants if you try it
from ports).

I'm guessing that use of rtprio is detrimental to other processes,
regardless of which program you are running... 8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.