Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2018 17:07:31 -0700
From:      Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Toolchain <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [CFT] tinderbox/universe building clang once

--3vGfZViDBlyLXtOnkKeNrd68sZh0JTgNH
From: Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
To: FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Cc: FreeBSD Toolchain <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org>

--0XBdC9G0rSJTDcaCDGKClfiiUKtAo4gOY

On 6/20/2018 2:08 PM, Bryan Drewery wrote:
> https://people.freebsd.org/~bdrewery/patches/universe-one-clang.diff
>=20
> This will build clang once if any of the targets specified (or
> defaulted) require bootstrapping clang.
>=20

The longterm plan does include making 'TARGET=3Darch1 make buildworld' an=
'TARGET=3Darch2 make buildworld' both use the same compiler and various
other build tools. For now this patch only addresses tinderbox/universe
so we can have some progress. I had another implementation that covered
the buildworld case but it was getting too complex and causing conflicts
with other people's work. I'll improve this over time.

> It probably has some issues with LLD_BOOTSTRAP in some cases. It could
> be improved more in the future for reusing more of the tools built but =
> think this is good enough for now as it saves the majority of the time
> in the bootstrap phases on clang.
>=20
> This won't work for GCC unless it learns convenient -target support.
> Its needed --sysroot support was also broken until some recent work fro=
> John Baldwin but I'm not sure if that has been committed yet.
>=20
> Also FYI WITH_SYSTEM_LINKER support is now in to avoid building libclan=
> for lld on archs that have LLD_BOOTSTRAP set.
>=20
> I'm putting this out for testing since tinderbox/universe take so long
> and I can't possibly test all workflows with it myself.
>=20

--=20
Regards,
Bryan Drewery