Date:      15 Feb 2001 14:49:28 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@OutBounderInc.com>
To:        "Hudson, Henrik H." <hhudson@eschelon.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-isp@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mail Server with LDAP?

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:30:21 -0600, "Hudson, Henrik H." <hhudson@eschelon.com> said:

Hudson> I want to get a mail server running that will do user auth via
Hudson> a LDAP server which will allow me get around the problem of
Hudson> A)Creating local user accounts and B) having the user at one
Hudson> domain not be able to have the same name as a user at another
Hudson> domain. or would a MySQL server work better?  safer? easier?

Hudson> The POP server to handle this? QPopper works via a PAM module
Hudson> and LDAP, I think? What else?

Hudson> Need an IMAP server too.

I set up something like this recently, not using LDAP, but with a
suite of packages based on qmail. Works well and you can build it all
from the ports collection. No user accounts on the system, except the
one under which the MTA runs, and the one under which the virtual mail
manager runs.

  qmail           mta
  vpopmail        modifies qmail for virtual domains
  qmailadmin      web interface to manage domains
  sqwebmail       web-based mua

Check www.inter7.com. They talk about which POP and IMAP servers you
can use. It's rather surprising how quick this was to get up and
running.

Instead of using a central LDAP directory, the account info is kept in
CDB (DJB's constant-time platform-neutral gdb-like database).

If I was gonna build something huge, with lots of separate machines
for POP/IMAP, SMTP, etc, I'd have to go with a central directory --
LDAP. But for a single machine handling a few thousand users this is
more than enough.

vpopmail apparently can do LDAP stuff but I haven't looked into it yet.