Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:13:03 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone working on fsck?

On 2003-03-17 14:05, Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com> wrote:
>> If you start to implement any sort of journaling (that is what you
>> talked about in your email), you might as well just stop right at
>> the "clean" bit, and avoid the complexity.
>
> No, I didn't suggest journaling, I suggested storing all state in a
> contiguous area (or a small number of such areas).  indirect blocks,
> keeping track of free blocks, etc.  You can still do a completely
> exhaustive fsck but it won't be exhausting to you.

This has two disadvantages though.  One of them is that you'll end up
redefining UFS which Julian prohibited.

The other one is that you risk corruption if this area (or some of
these areas) of the disk has hardware problems.  One area only is
entirely out of question.  If it breaks, you lost it all.  Add too
many of these areas and you waste a lot of disk space.  Of course,
there probably is some percentage that can give us all the benefits of
accessing only a fraction of the total disk space and still be small
enough to be ok.  It can even be made tunable with tunefs, as so many
other things.  But if this is done, it should be done after quite a
bit of research.  And you still end up modifying UFS.

- Giorgos