Date:      Thu, 03 Jan 2002 22:47:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp>
Cc:        Documentation Team <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>, alex@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Please clarify English sentence

On 04-Jan-02 Jun Kuriyama wrote:

> I'm translating this sentence, but I cannot understand "analyzing,
> caching and rewriting or reordering" means.
>
> Can someone clarify this sentence to easy English?

I don't think I can fit it one sentence, but maybe this will help:

> -----
>           without sacrificing safety and reliability, by intelligently
>           analyzing, caching and rewriting or reordering disk
>           meta-data
>           operations.</li>
> -----

First off, this sentence is bogus.  The comma before by is wrong.  It really
should be more than one sentence anyway:  Also, soft updates as an entity is
sinuglar, not plural.  It's one specific algorithm.

Soft Updates allows improved file system performance without sacrificing
safety and reliability.  It analyzes meta-data filesystem operations to
avoid having to perform all of those operations synchronously.  Instead, it
maintains internal state about pending meta-data operations and uses this
information to cache meta-data, rewrite meta-data operations to combine
subsequent operations on the same files, and reorder meta-data operations so
that they may be processed more efficiently.

Does that help?  The trick is that "rewrite or reorder" is one entity along
with "cache" and "analyze", but it doesn't read well as you point out. :)