Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 1997 15:40:28 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel w/o source? [MOD_DECL in lkm.h]

Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Of course, you are free to unbreak all the currently broken LKMs. :)
> > Many people often ask for what they could do in the FreeBSD project --
> > well that's one that could be done: fix the LKM mechanism.
>
> Go to ELF, and I will fix the LKM mechanism.
>
> Go to ELF and support page control attributes and kernel paging, and
> I will make some NT drivers load (and work) under FreeBSD.

I'm running ELF on NetBSD/Alpha. Does that count? I guess not.

> > > [blows dust of old Motorola system] Now, how do I boot this SysV thingy?
> > > Sigh. It still works, damn!
> >
> > C'mon, it doesn't have LKMs either, only a bunch of .a/.o files.
>
> I have an LKM implementation for SVR3/SVR4.  All it takes is a GCC
> to generate PIC code for it, and you need to write a pseudodevice
> (called /dev/lkm) to push the data into the kernel.  USL claims
> they own it because I changed a few lines of code on it in 1995 while
> employed by Novell before Novell bought USL.

My old SysV system is there strictly for support these days.
Occasionally the hardware gets a run under VxWorks. The rest of
the time it is turned off because it's too noisy. That's a feature
these modern machines don't have: a power supply that indicates
processor load. 8-)

--
John Birrell                                CIMlogic Pty Ltd
jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@netbsd.org           119 Cecil Street