Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 12:39:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        pgl@ti.cz, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: pcm0

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

> On 18-Nov-98 pgl@moo.terminal.cz wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I'm trying to use the pcm code ("Luigi's Sound Code"), as suggested in
> > LINT with the pnp0 controller. Unfortunately, every time my machine
> > boots up, because I have pcm0 in the kernel, it detects it (improperly)
> > and then pnp properly detects my soundcard as pcm1. Whenever I try and
> > play a sound file, I get a message :
> >
> > Nov  8 17:15:21 moo /kernel: pcm0: unit not configured, perhaps you want pcm1
> > ?
>
> I thought that this helped:
>
> cd /dev
> ./MAKEDEV snd1

Not quite.  You need to edit /dev/MAKEDEV first:

snd*)
#
# changes from Linux voxware
# minor         Linux                   FreeBSD
# 8             sequencer2 (aka music0) music0
# 17            patmgr0                 sequencer1
# 33            patmgr1                 sequencer2
#

        unit=`expr $i : 'snd\(.*\)'`
        chr=30

        # XXX write this less verbosely, like std
        snd_security_hole=0     # XXX
        umask $snd_security_hole

# there's an 'if ...' line here, remove it
                ln -fs mixer$unit mixer
                ln -fs sequencer$unit sequencer
                ln -fs dsp$unit dsp
                ln -fs audio$unit audio
                ln -fs dspW$unit dspW
                ln -fs music$unit music
                ln -fs pss$unit pss
# remove the 'endif' line here too

Make this change then run ./MAKEDEV snd1.

Doug White