Date:      Thu, 3 Feb 2000 12:04:04 -0500
From:      "Havener,  Kevin" <Kevin.Havener@afccc.af.mil>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Lyx lusr lacks luck (still)

I am having trouble getting lyx to play nicely with teTeX.
I've installed both packages, first with pkg_add from the
official 3.4 CDROM, then with a freshly cvsup'ed port from
3-stable (thanks to Brett Taylor and others on this list).
With a little help from my new found friends, I did get a
successful build of both the teTeX-1.0.6 port and the
lyx-1.0.4 port.

However, I still get the same errors as before.  I open the
help documents from the lyx menubar, then I "view DVI".  My
thoughts are that LaTeXing the documentation will test
expose all relevant features of my LaTeX (provided by teTeX)
installation.  If I have a broken LaTeX installation, it will
show up here.  Well, it does.

The simplest of these documents, Introduction to Lyx, cannot
even be typeset correctly.  Obviously, I have a broken
installation of something that is fairly basic and top level.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
I get the same errors whether I am myself or root, so I don't
think it's permissions.  Here are the errors: can anyone point
me in the right direction?  I haven't a clue how to proceed.
Lyx has always just worked.

When I get the Intro typeset, I'll try to typset the user guide
or reference manual to find out what remains broken.

----------------------lyx view_dvi error messages-------------

There were errors during the LaTeX run.
8 errors detected.  You should try to fix them

1.  !Undefined control sequence.  #Errors 1 and 2 occur on
<argument> \datumtext             #the title line!
I.18 \begin{g-brief}

2.  !Undefined control sequence.
\reserved@b ...d\@onefilewithoptions #1[\sprache]
[1997/01/23]\noexpand \@p...
I.329  {Get babel package !!!}}

3.  !Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \datumtext
I.68 }
click on it with the left mouse button.
The control sequence at the end of the top line
of your error message was never \def'ed.  If you have
misspelled it (e.g., '\hobx'), type 'I' and the correct
spelling (e.g.,'I\hbox').  Otherwise just continue,
and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.

4.  !Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \datumtext
I.138 \begin{g-brief}

5.  !Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \datumtext
I.153 }

6.  !Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \datumtext
I.220 }
You will find a directory inside the main tree called \texttt(develo...
The control sequence at the end of the top lin
of you error message was never \def'ed.  If you have
misspelled it (e.g., '\hobx'), type 'I' and the correct
spelling (e.g.,'I\hbox').  Otherwise just continue,
and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.

7.  !Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \datumtext
I.227 \begin{g-brief}

8.  !Undefined control sequence.