Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 02:03:43 -0500
From:      Paul Chvostek <paul@it.ca>
To:        Pete <hideaway@dashells.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dual processors.

If FreeBSD is already running on the box, just run /sbin/dmesg and see
what it tells you about the CPU.  If you've logged a bunch of errors and
/sbin/dmesg won't help, then look at the text file /var/run/dmesg.boot
and see what's eight to ten lines down from the top.

For SMP support, read the LINT file.  And RTFM; all this stuff is in
both the FAQ and the handbook.

On Mon, Jan 18, 1999 at 11:18:45PM -0500, Pete wrote:
> i guess my friend was wrong and it's really dual pent's
>
> i'll double check tho
> (it's colocated, so whenever i get out there for the next upgrade..)
>
> -Pete
>
> On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, rick hamell wrote:
>

> >> Hi,
> >> I have:
> >> dual amd 300
> >>
> >> Runs pretty nice but i realized i386 is 16 bit thus using one processor (i
> >> think, correct me if i'm wrong here).
> >>
> >> Do I need some kind of patch to use both processors? How do i Compile the
> >> system with*OUT* i386? so it will use both compilers?
> >
> >	How are you running dual AMD chips? From my understanding of SMP,
> >the chip itself has to be made to run in a dual processor environment.
> >Until AMD makes a major design change, you can't use them that way.
> >Either way, if you've got 3.0 running, it'll work with dual processors.
> >BTW... I know for sure that you don't want to remove i386... it's
> >slightly important. Now... if any one DOES have dual AMDs actually
> >working, please tell me as I've got a Dual board sitting around with only
> >one CPU! :)
> >

> >					Rick
> >

> >---- "Religion exists because man can't belive that he's nothing more
> >then a random accident."
> >
> > http://www.dsinw.com/~hamellr

> >with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

  Paul Chvostek                                            <paul@it.ca>
  Operations / Development                         vox: +1 416 598 0000
  IT Canada                                           http://www.it.ca/