Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:55:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "David P. Discher" <dpd@dpdtech.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 5.2.1 - Stable, boot2 and serial console

I did search the question mailing list before posting.

First, the new "menu", I think boot2 bootloader stage seems to be
un-documented.  Is there some documentation on this new-to-5.2 feature ?

Also, during boot2 (starting right after boot0, and until "Copyright ..."
), all my text via a serial console disappears.  This happened also when
installing off the 5.2.1 Install CD. (system had no video card or keyboard
attached, normally).

I wish I could capture this, but when the text appears on the screen, I
can see characters being generated, but immediately get erased.  Some
screen shots of this happening.

  <http://davidpdischer.com/FreeBSD521_SerialConsole/>;

I've played with term types, etc, etc, and haven't really had any affect.

The serial console box is a FreeBSD 4.8 system, using ssh to access the
system and tip to hit the serial connection.

| David P. Discher  * <http://davidpdischer.com/>; * (314) 518-3795  |
| <dpd@dpdtech.com> * AIM: DavidDPD               * ICQ:4222899     |