Date:      Fri, 23 Dec 2022 15:39:27 +0100
From:      shoesoft@gmx.net
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        salvadore@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nasm-2.16.01,1 build (nearly) locks up machine

On Friday, December 23, 2022 3:31:00 PM CET Stefan Ehmann wrote:
> devel/nasm nearly killed my machine today:
>
> It starts thousands of gmake processes (probably until the machine locks
> up).
>
> I also see lots of log entries in the build log (probably ~1 per gmake
>
> invocation):
> : > asm/warnings.time
>
> gmake asm/warnings.c.time include/warnings.h.time doc/warnings.src.time
> gmake[13499]: Entering directory '/wrkdirs/usr/ports/devel/nasm/work/
> nasm-2.16.01'
>
> Seems some kind of make loop. Is this a general problem or is there
> something wrong with my setup? I'm building in poudriere on 13.1/amd64.

Commiter CCed:

commit 7fd00ba8fde1fa40bcf4db886ad24429f851c8a6
Author: Lorenzo Salvadore <salvadore@FreeBSD.org>
Date:   Thu Dec 22 22:54:54 2022 +0100

    devel/nasm: Update to 2.16.01

    The file files/patch-d85890aa.c is being removed as it is now obsolete=
:
    the commit from which the patch was taken is already included in the
    update.

Seems like the patch is still necessary or a new patch required. The behav=
ior
I see looks like the "circular dependency in make" described in the commit=
 of
the patch:

commit ff62b402083eb32f63b01b874953fde03bd02e21
Author: Niclas Zeising <zeising@FreeBSD.org>
Date:   Fri Sep 18 22:03:42 2020 +0000

    devel/nasm: Update to 2.15.05

    update devel/nasm to 2.15.05
    Add upstream patch to fix circular dependency in make.
    Add perl as a build time dependency, it is needed now.
    Disable RDOFF in the default package, since it is going away upstream