Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 2004 01:35:02 -0400
From:      Tom McLaughlin <tmclaugh@sdf.lonestar.org>
To:        bsd-sharp-list@forge.novell.com, FreeBSD Gnome <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Mono 1.0.2 (stable) and 1.1.1 (devel) ports available from BSD#.

Just want to let those interested in Mono know that ports for the latest
Mono stable release, version 1.0.2, and the latest development snapshot,
version 1.1.1, are now available from the BSD# Project.  The changes
between between 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 are minimal as it is a minor bug fix
release.  Mono 1.1.1 is the first development snapshot on the way
towards 1.2 which will be the next production milestone.  It is as of
yet untested and from some reading may pose issues for some current
applications.  I've seen reports of problems with Muine but haven't had
time to investigate them.

The port changes made for this release are rather large.  Mono can now
utilize multiple GAC locations.  Some applications previously had issues
when not installed into the same prefix as the Mono runtime which would
cause program execution failures while some .NET assemblies when
installed elsewhere would cause program compilation failures.  This
would present a problem for any application using Mono but required to
install in X11BASE with Gnome.  In turn I've replaced bin/mono with a
dinky shell script that adds /usr/X11R6 to the know GAC prefix locations
and moved the mono runtime binary to bin/mono-bin.  I've also moved gtk-
sharp to its rightful spot in X11BASE.  So far I can compile and run
GTK# applications just fine but it is something to be aware of since
I've had to patch most libraries to install correctly into an alternate
prefix.  Hopefully I haven't missed anything though I may have.

As always, you can obtain the mono-merge script from the BSD# page at:
http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmod/project/?bsd-sharp

For some reason right now Novell Forge won't show the latest scripts so
you are better off downloading it directly from:
http://ftp.novell.com/pub/forge/bsd-sharp/mono-merge/MONO_HEAD/mono-
merge.tar.gz

As for a minor bit of gloating...  All these ports are available before
Ximian has even announced their official release.  That's right, you as
a FreeBSD user have the latest Mono packages available first!

In closing, let me know if you have any questions.  Thanks.

Tom

BSD# Project
http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmod/project/?bsd-sharp