Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2000 19:22:43 PST
From:      "Cosmic 665" <the_hermit665@hotmail.com>
To:        cwalker@computech-ca.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modem

9 Questions 3 suggestions   4 example ppp scripts

#1. what version of FreeBSD are you running
#2. what type of modem is it (PNP, rockwell, hayes compat)?
#3. Does it have jumpers?
#4. do you know how to configure ppp??
#5. are you on a network *and* or does the computer in question need to be a
gateway??
#6. what com port is your modem on?
#7. are there *any* additional com ports in use?
#8. what are your system specs (primarily motherboard, cpu)?
#9. do you know enough to compile a kernel and or use boot -c? (plz note
that if you don't I can help you)

Suggestions

1. I suggest you use a com1 or com3, by default I belive FreeBSD only has
com1 & com2 enabled in the kernel so useing com3 IRQ 4 would be fine.  Or
use com1 irq 4 and disable com1 in your BIOS (do any of these steps in
suggestion #1 only if your not using a mouse on com1 or 3).
2.  If you have a win-modem *on-some* you can turn-off pnp.. so do it
3.  use your jumpers to configure your modem to the correct port

### EXAMPLE SCRIPTS BELOW... only use them if you know what you are
doing!!!... also, these examples come from the 2.2.7-RELEASE.  If you are
using a higher version, let me know and I'll send you an updated sample of
scripts (this means you have to answer question #1 :P)  take a look at this
site (http://www.vmunix.com/fbsd-book/) read through this link
(http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ppp-and-slip.html)

good luck;
  -cosmic-665

example   /etc/ppp/ppp.conf    <<<

>default:
>   set device /dev/cuaa1  #plz change this to suite your specs
>   set speed 115200
>   set parity none
>   set timeout 0
>   disable lqr
>   deny lqr
>   set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT E0 X0
>   set redial 5 10
>
>foxinternet:
>   set phone "*70,3360301"    #needs to be edited
>   set login "TIMEOUT 5 ogin:-\\r-ogin: #xxxxxx word: xxxxxx"
>   set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 #Important!!
>   delete ALL
>   add default HISADDR

example     /etc/ppp/ppp.secret    <<<<

# change this to match you network specs
# Authname Authkey      Peer's IP address        Label   Callback
cosmic		hermit665		127.0.0.1

example    /etc/hosts    <<<

>127.0.0.1	   localhost
>10.0.0.1         foxinternet.net
#NOTE the line above I believe needs to match the "set ifaddr line"
>192.168.1.1      cosmic.com.
>192.168.1.6      hermitage
>192.168.1.2      hermit665
>192.168.1.3      486

example /etc/host.conf  #make sure it says hosts and bind!!

# $Id: host.conf,v 1.4 1997/02/23 09:20:40 peter Exp $
# Default is to use the nameserver first
hosts
# If that doesn't work, then try the /etc/hosts file
bind
# If you have YP/NIS configured, uncomment the next line
# nis