Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 07:48:56 -0500
From:      "Horia Georgescu" <hgeorges@oasis.on.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD as a NFS server?

Hi,

I need some feedback from those who tried and succeeded in implemementing a
NFS server based on FreeBSD. (If any). I would be much gratefull if you
could share some technical details of your solution.
I've encountered so far lots of problems:

While using v 2.2.7 under modest load (3-4 clients), the system behaved very
well. Encouraged by the exhibited realiability I added storage, memory and
upgraded the processor.

Current configuration:
Pentium 233 MMX
1 x 2940 Adaptec
1 x 2940 UW
1 x SCSI narrow  9 GB HDD
1 x SCSI narrow 2 GB HDD
1 x SCSI wide 54 GB external array (Arena)
96 MB RAM
100 MB SMC Etherpower NIC

All of this storage is exported to about 30 heavy clients, with all kind of
work.

I found the system relatively fast, handling well many small network
transactions, but not behaving well when intensive applications are executed
from the NFS mounted file systems. The most critical was that the system
once very reliable started crashing every other day, or some times even more
often. The crashes were actually spontaneous reboots, not leaving any
message in the logs. I happened to be there when it happened last, and the
message on the screen was: "Panic: ufs_lock: recursive lock not expected,
PID 112"
The message lead me to upgrade the OS to 3.1, but I find it less responsive,
and hence the NFS less reliable.

To complete the picture, to increase the performance of the system I
increased all the default parameters related to the network.
maxusers 256
tcpsendspace 65536
tcprecvspace 65536
udprecvspace 65536
maxfiles=10000
maxsockbuf 524288

Here is a netstat report on the version 3.1 which outlines still problems on
the transission side:
# netstat -in

Name  Mtu   Network       Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs
Coll
de0   1500  <Link>      00.00.c0.64.d2.f2  4894978     0  9042900 81915
12834
de0   1500  100           100.100.10.101   4894978     0  9042900 81915
12834
lp0*   1500  <Link>                               0     0        0     0
0
tun0* 1500  <Link>                               0     0        0     0
0
sl0*     552   <Link>                               0     0        0     0
0
ppp0* 1500  <Link>                               0     0        0     0
0
lo0   16384 <Link>                            2236     0     2236     0
0
lo0   16384 127           127.0.0.1           2236     0     2236     0
0

On ver 2.2.7 the Oerrors were a little bit lower than these, I believe that
the parameters mentioned before were doing a better job there.

Thanks much,
Horia Georgescu