Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 2002 20:42:32 -0400
From:      Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC <chad@shire.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        chad@shire.net
Subject:   help with serial ports as terminal lines

Hi

I am sitting at my machines.  I have two machines, each with a Tyan
Tiger MP MB (1 cpu)  and pretty much identical kernels (4.5R-p6).

Each sees its serial ports.  Here is a dmesg -- it is identical for both

host# dmesg | grep sio
sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A, console
sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
sio1: type 16550A
host#

I have getty running on the console device and the kernel is set for
sio0 at std.9600

If I stick a null modem cable between sio0 and sio1 on my first
computer, it works fine and I can use minicom or kermit to log into the
machine.  Ie, log into itself going out its own sio1 into its own sio0

I do the same thing on my second computer and nothing happens.  The
first computer was a from scratch 4.5R install that was cvsup to -p6.
The second (non working) machine was a 4.2R machine that I upgraded
through cvsup to 4.5R-p4 and then -p6.

I tried remaking the /dev special files but that did not help.

The rc.serial script is identical on both machines.

I would ideally like to cross link sio1 on each machine to the others
sio0 console.  When I do this, given the above, machine 1 (the one that
works with itself) cannot see anything on machine 2 but I can still log
in to machine 2, even though I see nothing (ie, nothing froim machine2
and no echoing of my typing).  If I try from machine 2 I see all the
console messages and the login prompt on machine 1, but I cannot type
anything and cannot get any response on machine 1.  Both have getty
running on console (sio0) and

I do not know where to start.  I replaced the motherboards last night
(for a totally different reason) but had the exact same problem on the
previous sets of motherboards (Abit KG-7).

I have read through the serial comms part of the handbook and have tried
various things there too...

thanks for any help.  I need to get this working tonight if I can since
I have to fly out of here and go home tomorrow early, so I have no hands
on after tonight, and I would like to be able to administer the machines
remotely if possible through the console.

Thanks
Chad