Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 14:27:22 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        trini0 <trini0@optonline.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, jim@siteplus.com
Subject:   Re: Netscape mail again

trini0 <trini0@optonline.net> types:
> I think I know what you mean.  Sometimes I see in the headers,
> (loginname@optonline.net), when I actually stated in ns mail for my
> identity to be trini0@optonline.net.  Whats up with that??  Could that be
> considered a slight security flaw?
> lata
> trini0

Actually, it could be considered a slight security feature.  From: is
for the author(s).  Sender is used when the person sending the message
is different than the From header. Given the amount of flack Netscape
took for making it trivial to forge email, that they now notice the
sender and from mailbox being different and add a sender can be
considered DTRT.

> Jim Weeks wrote:
>
> > Since there was some confusion on this question when it was originally
> > submitted, I will try it again.  You will have to look at the source of
> > this message to see what I mean.
> >
> > When using Netscape mail, the Sender field is always the name of the
> > logged in user on a given machine.  For example I am logged in as "jim"
> > on my laptop at the moment.  If you check the header of this email I
> > think you will find "Sender: jim@earthlink.net" which is not at all
> > correct.  Some MTA's have a problem with this.

The only time this should case a problem is if mail to Sender: doesn't
get back to you at all.

	<mike