Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 1998 10:29:52 +0100
From:      Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
To:        "Randy A. Katz" <randyk@ccsales.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What would you do? Ethernet / Switches

Hi,

I *always* lock the duplex setting both on the switch and the
host/router, my experience is that auto-sensing simply do not work ...

Here everything that is capable of 100M full-duplex is locked at this
setting, and the matching switch port is also locked at 100M
full-duplex ...

It's a bit of work initially, but it's far more stable ...

/Jesper

On Sun, Nov 15, 1998 at 06:53:37PM -0800, Randy A. Katz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got around 70 machines with Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B adapters in
> them and 9 Dlink DES3216 (10/100BaseTX switches, 16 ports). The switches
> are set as Auto out of the box and that seems to work...for awhile...
>
> It seems at various intervals the LAN side of my router which is also an
> Inter EtherExpress get input errors. I did a test and was able to have this
> happen again by setting the main switch to 100BaseTX and full-duplex, this
> caused the LAN side of that ethernet adapter to get errors...untill I
> rebooted.
>
> So what does everybody else do? I forgot to add there are around 4-5
> machines that have 10-baseT ethernet adapters and the Auto never affects them.
>
> What would you do? Set everything on auto, set it half-duplex 100BaseTX or
> full-duplex 100BaseTX...and why?
>
> Thank you,
> Randy Katz

/Jesper

--
Jesper Skriver (JS4261-RIPE), Network manager
Tele Danmark DataNet, IP section (AS3292)