Date:      Sun, 04 Mar 2001 20:00:43 +0100
From:      Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.luth.se>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: major resolver problems in -STABLE

> =

> On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, Mattias Pantzare wrote:
> =

> > No, that is simply not true. hostname is _not_ related to DNS. DNS na=
mes =

> > IP adresses, an IP adress names a interface, not a host.
> > =

> > You can set hostname to whatever you think looks nice.
> > =

> > If you have applications that depend on hostname beeing a FQDN then t=
hey are =

> > broken.
> =

>   No.  "hostname" should be resolvable.  Lots of applications want this=

> (ie. sendmail).

Then sendmail is broken (or misconfigured). But you are only partly right=
, =

sendmail uses hostname as the name of the sending computer and will add t=
he =

domainname if you leave it out of hostname. Sendmail will work even if th=
e =

hostname is totaly wrong, but your e-mails may be rejected fr=E5n the oth=
er end.

I have a lot of systems that do not have a FQDN, but a =

resolvable name, that is a name that exists in the DNS domain they are pa=
rt =

of. I have not found a program that breaks because of that.

But I have a trick question for you. What shoud I set as hostname if I ha=
ve a =

mobile computer that will have diffrent IP-adresses at diffrent times dur=
ing a =

session? And those are in diffrent DNS domains? And it is not connected t=
o the =

network when I turn it on?