Date:      Tue, 03 Nov 1998 18:08:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        "Justin M. Seger" <jseger@freebsd.scds.com>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: boot.conf

Justin M. Seger, On 03-Nov-98 you wrote:
>  Is there a document of any sorts documenting the format of boot.conf?

Excellent question.  man boot still carries this old, long obsolete
specification :-)

I figured out you can put things like /boot/kernel.SOMETHING-FUNNY in the
file and if indeed there is asuch a file, it will be a kernel.
I figured out alos the lines starting with a '#' are comments.

I think that if you dig a bit into the usr/mdec (what does mdec stand for?)
you may find the parser there...

Simon