Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 02:46:19 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        chris@netmonger.net (Christopher Masto)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL issues (Was: More important Windows Refund Day coverage)

> The purpose of the GPL is to allow people to license their code under
> the GPL.  Period.

With respect, the GPL is an instrumentality of the GNU Manifesto.

	http://www.gnu.org/gnu/manifesto.html

The purpose of the GPL is to advance the goals of the GNU Manifesto.

If you don't support the goals of the GNU Manifesto, then don't use
the GPL.

If you support the goals of the GNU Manifesto, then I'd argue that
the GPL is a poor instrument by which the instrumentality that the
GNU Manifesto intends can be realized.

A better instrument would be the Cygnus ECOS Public License, since
it takes specific notice of patent law and tit-for-tat patent
cross-licensing.

	http://www.cygnus.com/ecos/license.html

Regards,

					Terry Lambert