Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:38:23 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Steve Francis <steve@expertcity.com>
Cc:        Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@withagen.nl>
Subject:   Re: Old SUN NFS performance papers.

Steve Francis wrote:

> Eric Anderson wrote:
>

>> I wasn't even sure where to start or stop snipping on this mail,
>> since it is all good stuff - so I didn't. :)  Thanks for the great
>> info, and good explanations..  NFS+TCP is very nice, but I do believe
>> the UDP transport was faster on a handful of tests (however I
>> typically force use of TCP when I can)..
>>
>> One question - what does net.inet.ip.check_interface=0  do?
>

> makes FreeBSD not care if the interface a response comes in on is the
> same as the one a request did. Helps only if network topology is funky.

That's handy for a network like I have.  What would also be handy, is a
sysctl like that for the client side - that tells FreeBSD to ignore the
fact that a response is coming from a different IP than what it sent the
request to.  Yes, I know this is a security issue, and yes I understand
the ramifications.  Nevertheless, I need it - unless there is a way to
tell redhat and solaris to always answer on the same interface the
request came in on..

Eric

All generalizations are false, including this one.