Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 15:32:56 +0200
From:      Miroslav Kes <mira@rockwell.cz>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.6 stable CAM installation help?!

I'm trying to install -stable with CAM on my box with Adaptec 2940U2W. I
spent the whole week trying to apply following strategy:

Insert another IDE disk to the box.
Install 2.2.6 release, upgrade it to -stable (thanks Justin again for
the hint) apply CAM patches and get -stable with CAM working on the IDE
disk so I could see also the 2940U2W controller and SCSI disks.
So far I suceeded.
Then I wanted to use /stand/sysinstall to install 2.2.6 release on one
SCSI disk, copy the kernel from IDE to the SCSI disk, boot from the scsi
so I could upgrade to -stable and apply CAM.
Unfortunately even if I selected da0 and da1 as disks where the
installation should be performed the /stand/sysinstall started copying
files to the wd0 and overwrote the -stable patch (I was quite unhappy
:-[ ) so I had to do the perform show on the IDE again.
Then I tried another way. I used the boot.flp from the
www.freebsd.org/~abial and here I suceeded to install the 2.2.6 release.
Now I felt to be close. I have compiled new kernel on the IDE setting
kernel root on da0
then I mounted /da0s1a and copied the kernel (using also chflags).

Now the problem is that if I boot the kernel on the da0 it still tries
to look for / on wd0 and if it fail it hangs.

Some steps I described above I did in several iterations learning from
my mistakes but now I have no idea what to try next.

Any help is greatly welcome.

Mira

|                     Miroslav Kes                        |
| Rockwell Automation Ltd.   | tel.:   (+420) 2 2425 6913 |
| Research Center Prague     | fax:    (+420) 2 250467    |
| Americka 22                | e-mail: mira@rockwell.cz   |
| 120 00 Praha 2 - Vinohrady |                            |
| Czech Republic             |                            |