Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 07:12:51 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A lot of idea --- Coordination

Greg Lehey wrote:
> The FreeBSD movement is not a democracy.  In a democracy, the majority
> wins.  I think the FreeBSD movement is a good example where a
> democracy would be a Bad Thing.
You're right. I just got reminded of that.

> The FreeBSD movement is an anarchy.  People go and do their thing, and
> many benefit from it.  The classical problems of anarchies (people
> making their own laws and terrorizing their neighbours) is eliminated
> by the communication medium.

I'd say, almost correct. Core does have veto power and their own agenda.
However, it is a good example of what we Libertarians in America would
like to create as a political system. It works very well. Those who like
it, stay and contribute. Those who don't, leave.

> Linux and FreeBSD have different structures, but they're much more
> similar than you might think.  I wonder what the FreeBSD movement
> would look like if it were the size of the Linux movement.

You know, I've been thinking (nooooo!) about this. Perhaps we should
leave the 'doze market to Linux and realize that we are already tearing
bricks out of the market for SCO, Solaris and HP-UX in terms of
comparative ###. FreeBSD is primarily positioned as a server OS, and
those are our real competition in that arena. That's not to say I
wouldn't like to see FreeBSD on the desktop, but the reality is that it
ainna gonna happen until we can plunk a good safe office suite on the CD
that reads and writes Word6 and Excel5 files. I understand that
StarOffice _was_ a close pass at that, but it's no longer an option.