Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 21:52:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jim flournoy <bsdspaceman@yahoo.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I still can't get my net install to work from CDrom

> Are you trying to use anonymous FTP, or are you
> logging in as a user?
> Try logging in from an FTP client to make sure it
> works.
>
> IIRC, there is an option in sysinstall to tell it
> which directory on
> the server to use.  There are also options for
> username and password
> if you're not using anonftp.  If you think you're
> doing all this
> already, tell us EXACTLY what settings you're
> customizing in
> sysinstall so we don't have to keep guessing :-)
>
> Kris

Because, on the installation notes, there is a warning
that the necessary edit to the passwd file might allow
anonymous login (add with vipw
ftp:*:99:99::0:0::FTP:/cdrom:/sbin/nologin) I have
assumed I could do this anonymously although I'm not
sure that I have any other support for anonymous ftp

Tonight I tried setting the ftp user name and passwd
to my account and that failed.  It seems to fail as
soon as I change anything on the options screen:  I
immediately am rewarded with the message "Installation
completed with some errors..." and have to restart the
whole process.

On the options editor I see

Install Root:  /
Browser Exec:  /usr/local/bin/lynx
Package Temp:  /usr/tmp

but nothing else indicating a possible path to the
source image.  Only after I choose installation media
'2 FTP Install from an FTP server' installation method
do I seem to have a choice as to the path.  ex
ftp://192.168.0.10/cdrom

As far as the customation issue goes, I'm just
choosing a basic 'user' install without X, then
formatting the first scsi hd (da0) as bsd, choosing
the automatic partition settings and then choosing a
standard mbr.  For the second scsi hd (da1) i create a
single filesystem partition and choose the 'leave the
mbr untouched' option on the following screen.

I just got the message "No such directory
ftp://192.168.0.10/cdrom please check your URL and try
again"

hmmm... Thanks!
Jim

Jim