Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2000 17:02:04 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Bob Martin <bob@buckhorn.net>
Cc:        Robert Small <robert@inu.net>, "questions@FreeBSD. org" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPP

On Sat, Mar 04, 2000 at 12:35:44PM -0600, Bob Martin wrote:
> Robert Small wrote:
> >
> > Ok, I give up.  I just install FreeBSD 3.3 (and I am completely new
> > at FreeBSD), and I can't get the ppp to work.  It dials up my ISP
> > fine but the moment PPP starts, it disconects.  Any all help would
> > be GREATLY appreciated!
>
> Any suggestions, from what logs to check, to what needs to be done in
> what order would be of great help.

I don't know what the problem might be without the configuration of
your pppd daemon, and information about authentication methods in that
ISP.

For instance, with Extreme (www.x-treme.gr) that I'm now using, one has
to use a funny authentication method.  When I dial and get connected,
x-treme.gr connects back to me on TCP/6699 and waits for an
authentication string.  If I don't send it, the line is closed.

Now you can see why I can't help much without knowing more information
about your ISP and/or pppd setup.  However the following will probably
help you debug it yourself :)

You can enable verbose logging in pppd by adding to your current
/etc/ppp/options the keyword:

	debug

Then add the following lines to your /etc/syslog.conf and send a HUP
signal to syslogd so that it rereads the config file.

	!pppd
	*.*			/var/log/ppp.log

This will make sure that all messages from pppd will go into ppp.log

After that, you can watch as thing get written into /var/log/ppp.log
while you're running pppd to connect to your ISP, by executing before
you start pppd to dial:

	# tail -f /var/log/ppp.log &

Now, you're ready to dial in...

--