Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 13:38:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Michael J. Madio" <mmadio@yahoo.com>
To:        Michael Doyle <relyod@indigo.ie>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting Mail

Michael,

The problem is not lack of DNS but misconfigured DNS.  You should have
two MX records for your domain, one listing your machine and the other
listing your ISP.  Your machine should have a lower preference number
(typically 10) and the ISP should have a higher preference number
(typically 20).  This means that all incoming mail will try your
server first becauase it has the lower preference.  If it is
unreachable, it will be delivered to the ISP.  The ISP will then keep
trying to send it to the lower preference MX (that's you!)

Hope this helps,

Michael

---Michael Doyle <relyod@indigo.ie> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a problem which I think MIGHT be related to the absence of
> a DNS server on my server. Symptom is no incomming mail. :-)
>

> Current config:
> I have sendmail running, and it sends out-going mail just fine,
> and sendmail.cf has a record telling it to deal with mail for the
domain
> the ppp.linkup script also has a line:
> 	"!bg /bin/etrn.pl snmp.connect.ie co-operation-north.ie"
> 			    ^^^^ My ISP's Mail host
>                                          ^^^^ my domain name
>
> However, no mail seems to be arriving,
> and when I send mail using an a/c outside the domain (this a/c)
> the mail doesn't bounce, but it never arrives.
>
> Doing an NSLOOKUP with type set to MX gives my ISP's mailhost
> as the MX host for my email domain. (Correct, I hope)
> [to be pedantic, it reports "ook.connect.ie" is the MX host,
> smtp.connect.ie is an alias]
>
> How do I
>    (1) check if the mail is ever getting as far as the ISP's mail
host ?
>    (2) if it is, how do I get it to my server ?
> <><=====================================================><>
> Michael Doyle			phone: +353-1-661-0588
> Network Administrator		http://indigo.ie/~coopnth/
> Co-Operation North
> E-mail: relyod@co-operation-north.ie	(0ffice)
> 	relyod@indigo.ie		(Personal)

> with "unsubscribe questions" in the body of the message

==
Michael J. Madio
Senior Technical Engineer
POYA Computers