Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 03:52:13 -0400
From:      "William Wong" <willwong@samurai.com>
To:        "Odhiambo Washington" <wash@wananchi.com>, "FBSD-Q" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Ports and Packages

Hi,

For those interested in figuring out this prob, I've include more info in
this message.

The systems, hardware wise, are slightly different.  (dmesg can be provided
if necessary), but the gist is that one is a p233mmx (problem) the other is
p200mmx (good computer)

Problem system - cvsup'd to 4.3-RELEASE, make world, using:
CFLAGS= -O -pipe
CPUTYPE=i586/mmx
Can't build samba 2.0.9 from Ports.

Good system - binary install of 4.3-RELEASE off CD
CFLAGS= -O -pipe
CPUTYPE=i586/mmx
No problems building samba.
All the system binaries on the system are still the ones provided on the cd.
A make world was not performed.

Here's the line where the samba compile fails.  It doesn't even get past
configure.

|checking configure summary
|configure: error: summary failure. Aborting config
|===>  Script "configure" failed: here are the contents of "config.log

The complete script recording can be found at:
http://home.samurai.com/~willwong/script-output

If anyone has any clues, drop me a line.
- Will

PS
Mark Hughes, "make package" worked.  If I can't figure out the compile
problem I guess I'll just install the package.