Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 21:13:18 +0700 (NSS)
From:      Ustimenko Semen <semen@iclub.nsu.ru>
To:        Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
Cc:        dkelly@hiwaay.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NTFS

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Joao Carlos Mendes Luis wrote:

> #define quoting(Ustimenko Semen)
> // > NTFS under FreeBSD is still read-only, right?
> // >
> //
> // It is possible to write, if we doesn't change size, name and etc.
> // And if file doesn't have any 'holes', and is not compressed.
> //
> // Writing assume that you will use it like swap file, that's all.
>
>   How would you evaluate performance and stability in doing so ?
>
>   I've tried using swap files (vnode) over msdos partition, but the
> performance made it unusable.

You can test the speed by following:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/ntfs/swap0 bs=4096 count=32k conv=notrunc

Performance depends a lot on cluster size. i.e 512 bytes per
cluster will slow it to a ...

As for relaibility, i'll commit today a new version, much
more stable, i hope.

From my expirience, i can say: i've managed to make kernel
on 32Mb with 32Mb of swap on ntfs partition with
make -j 16, swap was used at 5Mb max. Not much, but...