Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 02:39:36 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        new-bus@freebsd.org
Subject:   Another question

I have a question about a parent giving a child a portion of the
address range that the parent has allocated for that child's use.

I've allocated a 16k chunk of system isa memory at the bridge level.
From time to time children need a hunk of this memory to map in their
attribute memory.  The attribute memory has various config registers
in it as well as the CIS.  My thinking on the matter was that I'd
allocate the 16k chunk at bridge attach time, and then just give it
out to the children who are requesting a memory area be mapped in as
the default.  However, when I go to do this, the allocation fails
because the bridge is holding the allocation.

What's the right new bus way to deal with this.  Is it to free the
resource at the bridge level and give it to the child?  Is there some
subspace mapping available that I've missed?

Finally, the attribute memory on a pccard can be much bigger than the
4k window which the pcic bridge allows to be mapped at one time.  How
does one specify a card relative offset using the new bus allocation
routines (eg, I want to say "allocate this hunk of memory at the
default place and start at offset 16k in the card's address space").
I suppose I could come up with a kludge that moves the offset after it
has been allocated/activated, but I thought I'd bounce things off the
folks here.

Warner