Date:      Sun, 05 Sep 1999 14:19:36 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        chris@tourneyland.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hoping to configure DNS

chris@tourneyland.com wrote:

> >       You want to get a copy of DNS and BIND, 3rd Edition from O'Reilly. It is
> >THE reference to all issues DNS, and you should read it and understand it
> >before putting a nameserver on the internet. Misconfigured nameservers can
> >cause all manner of problems.
>
> Arrrrg, I was afraid of that. Sorry if this sounds trollish (and
> unappreciative), but does is lazy old me really going to have to buy and
> read ANOTHER 400 page book just to get DNS up and going? Maybe I'm
> hopelessly naive,  but why is DNS so complex? How come I can't just write a
> text file mapping IPs to hostnames?

	*sigh* I'm trying really hard to think of a polite way to respond to this.
The closest I can come is to say that if you want to be a unix system
administrator you have to learn how to use the tools. Misconfigured name
servers can wreak all sorts of havoc, including increasing unproductive
traffic to and from your site, doing the same for other remote sites, cause
you to miss your mail, prevent people from reaching your site entirely,
etc.

	The fact that A) You failed to answer my question as to why you want a
nameserver in the first place, and B) You're one of those people who asks
for advice then doesn't take it; indicates to me that you've got nothing
but trouble in your future. Either take the time and patience to educate
yourself properly, or hire someone who is. Either way you will save
yourself and the rest of the internet a lot of problems.

Doug