Date:      Sat, 07 Oct 2006 17:07:49 -0400
From:      sbahra@kerneled.org
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Jochen Kaiser <Jochen.Kaiser@rrze.uni-erlangen.de>, csjp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: libpcap perf improvement? latest ideas?

> On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Jochen Kaiser wrote:

[...]

>> after reading a german master thesis [1] (dated 12/2004) about pcap =20
>>  performance (with comparison of linux and freebsd) I searched  =20
>> freebsd resources for pcap improvements. Unofortunately I did not  =20
>> find any improvements like PF_RING and/or efforts for reducing the  =20
>> number of copy operations from device to user space.

Hi Jochen,

I suggest you take a look at http://www.kerneled.org/?p=3D15
What is implemented here is reasonably light-weight but still uses a =20
ring buffer model. I agree that a reference model can be used to =20
reduce the number of copies done currently for BPF. I personally =20
haven't seen work there and I have yet the time unfortunately to =20
shut-up and just code such a thing.

>> Maybe I think too simple because I don't know how SMP fine locks  =20
>> are influencing this (maybe it is very complex to improve that when =20
>>  you want to avoid side effects.).

Basically, the reason for bad performance here in Linux in the =20
PF_PACKET sense is high system call overhead. BPF does collective =20
buffering, so system call over-head is less. Applications doing packet =20
analysis will also find a lot of required information in the BPF =20
header as well (such as timestamps). In PF_PACKET you are forced to do =20
a system call per-acquisition and another system for receiving the =20
time-stamp of the last packet read for example.

Other research papers have also shown that BPF still out-weights =20
PF_PACKET and other zero-copy PF_* solutions with small packets as =20
well. The kerneled.org post helps to explain this in a general sense. =20
Basically, zero-copy isn't the end-it-all solution but for larger =20
packets it makes great sense. The application I've been developing for =20
a while now makes use of both depending on average packet size.

On Thu, 6 Oct 2006, Robert Watson wrote:
> Quite a bit of work has been done on zero-copy for BPF, but none of it
> really commitable.  Christian Peron (CC'd) and I have been talking
> about doing something that is commitable, but some of the details (such
> as memory ownership) are still very much up in the air.

Is there any archive or summary online noting the approaches you guys =20
would like to take with BPF? I am really interested in this, and when =20
my time permits would love to write some code. I am also interested in =20
the other work you noted that is not committable. Could we be provided =20
some URLs please? :-)

> PF_RING takes an interesting approach, and one we should look at, but we'd
> also like to keep all the benefits of BPF rather than discard them, =20
> so need to
> consider how best to apply elements of the approach in our context.
> I'd like to see something like this happen for FreeBSD 7.0, with a
> possible backport if it goes really well. :-)

The problem with PF_RING is it's static ring buffer model and concept =20
of marking slots. This doesn't make it so feasible for real-world =20
applications. I proposed a model that allows for dynamic ring buffer =20
size and signaling for soft and hard-limits to allow application =20
buffering to handle potential drops (or request specific allocation =20
strategies from the kernel). A Professor at my university also had an =20
idea of providing packet acquisition prioritization (push specific =20
packets to the beginning of the packet copy queue, which isn't =20
currently a concept in BPF) as a BPF language extension. An mmap =20
interface to BPF will be cool but unless we also provide stubs to =20
automize packet management from user-space it could be doomed to be =20
like PF_RING. :-P

[...]

Regards.
--