Date:      Thu, 04 Apr 2024 10:19:10 -0700
From:      Chris <portmaster@bsdforge.com>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: poudriere(8) short circuits my ability to build packages

On 2024-04-04 09:07, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> > hint using jail is not it, poudriere
>> > leverages jails, but we could do without jail while providing the same
>> > value.
>> Not if it imposes itself.
>
> It does not. The complexity of keeping such a huge number of
> interdepend ports/packages building and running is not imposed
> by poudriere, it's imposed by the general development pace.
>
> Having tools like poudriere helps enormously to keep things
> together.
>
>> If I've misunderstood the message reported to me by pkg(8) in my attempt
>> to create a package, and it *doesn't* prevent me from creating a
>> package in my chosen environment.
>
> It does not prevent you, but the port (not pkg) message is written
> in relation to poudriere. So yes, I think you misunderstood the
> message. To be fair, the topic is complicated and formulating
> a message that can not be misunderstood is non-trivial.
Indeed, and I apologize for misinterpreting the message. If it were me,
I'd have probably omitted the "The limit imposed by poudriere(8)" part and
maybe just included it in a poudriere(8) message. But that's just me, and the
ports framework doesn't revolve around me. ;)

Thanks for taking the time to help me here, Kurt. Much obliged! :)

--
--Chris Hutchinson