Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 2003 14:32:11 -0700
From:      Aaron Siegel <aaron-siegel@attbi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Recording raw audio files under 5.0

Hello

I am trying to record audio input to a raw audio file using the comand:

 $ cat /dev/dspW > audio.file.raw

This produces and error "cannot open /dev/dsp [device busy]" (using dsp,
dsp0.0....). I tried the command fstat | dsp (as recommended in the hand
book), it did not find any application using that device. I do not have X
running so KDE, GNOME, and what  ever windows like programs are not running.
I have check the /var directory for any locks, I did not find any.

-dmesg:
 pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro-2> port 0xf800-0xf8ff irq 5 at device 4.0 on
pci0

-cat /dev/sndstat:
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro-2> at I/O port 0xf800 irq 5 (4p/0r/4v channels
duplex default)

-I have setup 4 virtual channel, following the instruction in the handbook.

-I am able to play audio CD's and realplayer.

I notice that the the devices audio, dsp, dspW ... do not exist, but the
devices audio0.x, dsp0.x, dspW0.x .... do exist. Do I need to create the dsp,
audio, dspW .... devices?  What does the statment"(4p/0r/4v channels duplex
default)" found in the output of the sndstat indicate?

Thank you
        Aaron