Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 14:41:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        dippel@mabi.de (Oliver Dippel)
Cc:        hm@kts.org, sysadm@sysadm.cc, freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting time from ISDN and using AOCD

Oliver Dippel wrote:

> what kind of DCF77 devices are supported by FreeBSD and
> where to get them for such an amazing price (Conrad, .. ?) ?

I've bought mine some years ago at two different normal hardware stores,
it's a red/white box labelled "FUNKUHR fuer den PC". It contains a
rectangular box with a red 5mm LED an a Green arrow/triangle printed on
top and a DB9 RS232 cable, no manufacturer or brand available but i've
seen exactly those devices sold by other manufacturers - dirt cheap.

AFAIK, they output a 50 baud signal of the DCF77 data stream at the serial
port which is the same everywhere for those types of devices so it should
not matter what brand you buy als long as the principle is the same.
FreeBSD's xntpd explicitly supports a "Boeder" clock, but the driver works
for mine too (because of what i said earlier). My device gets it operating
voltage of +12V and -12V from RTS and DTR and (i think) this is what the
defaults are (before that i had to use comcontrol in rc.serial to set this).

I use those devices for providing time to the network at home and at work
without any noticable problems.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
 We all live in a yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine ...