Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 2003 19:08:52 -0400
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DRAFT - DNS Admin Guide

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 01:39:09PM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:

> You are not the only ones.  We have http://www.nzfug.nz.freebsd.org/
> and the nzfug mailing list which goes with it.

Ok, I understand the previous question a bit better as far as deciding
on terms for delegation, sub-delegation, etc.  This helped me see a
bit more than I had been.

Assuming the load on dnsadm@ isn't too great I think this sort of
thing can fall under what I described in the last one.  The folks
that want nzfug.nz.freebsd.org send the request to dnsadm@, who
function as the coordinator for DNS analogous to there being a coordinator
for FTP mirrors.  They delegated nz.freebsd.org to you a while ago
so they talk to you.  In the end if nzfug does come into being the
dnsadm@ coordinator records all the info about them (site contact,
etc) at that level.  Now if you were to disappear dnsadm@ can still
contact nzfug to see if they can pick up the pieces.

I mentioned these coordinators I keep talking about are not *managers*.
Minimally I thought they would be glorified Administrative Assistants.
Using hubs@ as the example this would be the person who typically
answers about requests for becoming new mirrors, would probably be
the one who decides enough mirrors are there, etc.  This would also
be the person who knows how to get the procedure done, and guides
the new site through the procedure.  Suppose the person functioning
in this role was named Chris.  Chris negotiates with the person who
offered, generally feeling them out and making sure they're suitable
(not some teenager who thinks his new broadband connection is cool for
example) and collects the information about the site (contact, location,
and other stuff we feel we should keep track of).  Chris decides we can
use them, and then contacts Jun to ask they be granted access to the
appropriate ftp-master machine(s) and makes.  After that Chris contacts
dnsadm@ to say "Please add ftp14.us.freebsd.org" and Chris is the one
responsible for keeping the site info.  Now later if ftp14 stops
functioning that fact is relayed to Chris (maybe the site operator
is nice and tells Chris beforehand, maybe some irate end-user sends
email to dnsadm@ and they route it to Chris because they know he's
the Mirror Site Coordinator).  Chris handles the fallout because
he knows what to do (e.g. make ftp14 point to ftp5 temporarily, but
contact some site he told "No" to last week to say a spot opened up
and are they still interested, etc).  Chris also knows to tell Jun
about it so the ACL on ftp-master should be adjusted.

There doesn't need to be a Chris, Jun could do it all.  But I think
someone(s) needs to function in that role.  It could be one person,
could be several people, whatever.  But IMO it's time for that level
of coordination.  If the RE team has questions about the mirror system
they ask Chris.  If Jesper can't understand why we're still carrying
all the broken-out source trees on the mirror sites Chris will try to
find out who to ask about making it stop.  If coordinating all of the
mirror sites is too much work for Chris he can ask Cejka to pick up
Europe and tell dnsadm@ that they should listen to Cejka in addition
to Chris.  If Murray wants stats collection done he asks Chris because
re@ knows Chris is the Mirror Coordinator and they'd trust Chris will
do the right thing by bumping the request to hubs@ (and now Murray
doesn't need to "lurk" on hubs@ if he doesn't want to :-).  Murray
can't *expect* Chris to be able to do it because exactly how much
Chris is capable of will depend on the dynamics of the group.
*Minimally* Chris is, again, basically a glorified Administrative
Assistant and is not a *manager* with "resources available to him" and
all that other [insert your personal preference on whether the
Corporate stuff is good or not - I'd call it Corporate Nonsense but
opinions vary].  If the dynamics of the group are such that there are
various people around willing to help, etc. maybe Chris can guide the
task through to it happening.  Maybe all Chris can do is float it on
hubs@ and see what happens.  Maybe Chris can take care of it himself,
etc.  But Chris would at least note Murray would like this done and
look for opportunities to make it happen.  Chris typically can't
simply dictate that it will happen.

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu