Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 16:53:30 +0600 (NOVT)
From:      "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Terminal wars: cons25 vs. linux (don't forget vt100)

Hi!

What really pisses me off in FreeBSD (well, this is actually the one of
the very few things that badly implemented in FBSD, I guess ;-) is the
terminals issue.

I've posted a message some time ago about crappy Midnight Commander
behaviour unser FreeBSD (TERM = cons25) -- Ctrl-O didn't work, Shifted
functional keys, and others neither did.  Apparently, this is not too
interesting for many people (however, I can't understand one who switched
from Linux to FreeBSD, and neglets sucky terminal support in FBSD), since
I didn't get a decent answer.  But people, lets face it: we take Red Hat
Linux rigth out the box, and everything works perfectly: colored ls,
midnight with all the features working, and even when I telnet to another
linux box, with TERM=vt100, I get all characters drawn correctly (I'm from
Russia, so there are often some problems with different encodings and
fonts, but here -- no), russian chars + frame chars (in mc), color....  In
vt100, in telnet!

Now let's take a look at FreeBSD.   First of all, no --color option of
ls.  Strange....  Ok, moving on.  Midnight lacks some functionality
(actually, I've contacted MC main author, and he told me that MC designed
for linux, and there are some code that assumes you're running linux).
Still, I'm not satisfied.  Would you be?  I don't think so.  Not quite.

Ok, I try telnetting to my FreeBSD box.  What?!?!  Black and white
midnight?  While in Linux everything works?  I don't understand it.

Terminals issue is probably the one that needs to be impreved in FreeBSD.

And, why to have cons25, cons30, cons43, cons50 ?!?!?!

Hope my letter will be considered.

With all due respect,

./danfe