Date:      Sat, 7 Feb 2009 15:40:05 GMT
From:      Martin Birgmeier <martin@email.aon.at>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/131360: [nfs] poor scaling behavior of the NFS server under load

The following reply was made to PR kern/131360; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Martin Birgmeier <martin@email.aon.at>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 16:31:21 +0100 (CET)

 I am now very sure that this is an interaction with pppoa, and it is
 also worse than I originally thought: it will even lead to failed NFS
 transactions for the client.

 Here is what I have:

 Machine A ('server', a mini home server) does the following:
   - connecting to the Internet using usermode ppp over pppoa over an
     Alcatel ADSL modem
   - NFS serving FreeBSD sources

 Machine B does the following:
   - Mounting the FreeBSD sources from A (using amd), under directory
     /vol/SRC/FreeBSD/HEAD/src
   - Compiling the FreeBSD sources: make -j4 buildworld, such that the
     corresponding obj is local (via amd again)

 Especially in the first phase of the buildworld (clean, depend, obj),
 there is a lot of simultaneous NFS traffic from B to A. As soon as
 a download is started at A (going via pppoa, of course), the load on
 A rises to very high values (> 20 not uncommon).

 This may lead to B aborting the compile, it just did that with
 "directory not found".

 Both machines are running 7.1.0.

 No such problem happended when both were running 6.3.0.