Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:00:56 -0700 (GMT)
From:      Pirat Sriyotha <pirat@center.oaep.go.th>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
Subject:   Re: make a customized kernel error (fwd)

> From: Dan O'Connor <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
> To: Pirat Sriyotha <pirat@center.oaep.go.th>,
>     freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: make a customized kernel error
>
> Pirat Sriyotha wrote:
>
> >i have just finished a 'cvsup stable-supfile' for another new machine.
> >this one is primarily 2.2.8.  after finishing cvsup, i do a 'make world'
> >and get a good news with 'make world completed on Wed Jan 20 22:24:37 ICT
> >1999.'
> >
> >next i do a customization for the new kernel, please see the attached
> >file for my configuration for this kernel.
> >what i do is as follow
> >
> >(1) cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> >(2) cp GENERIC NimMarNaRaTi
> >(3) edit NimMarNaRaTi to fit my requirements, actually i do while
> >cvsupping and after completion of 'make world' then
> >(4) /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.sbin/config/config NimMarNaRaTi
> >(5) make depend
> >(6) make
> >
> >now at this point, i get an error message at the end that says,
>

> <snip>
>

> I think step (4) is wrong. From /usr/src/sys/i386/conf directory, try:
>
> (4)    /usr/sbin/config NimMarNaRaTi
>
> You should get a message similar to "build directory is
> ../../compile/NimMarNaRaTi", then:

thanks for your hints.
i try /usr/sbin/config NimMarNaRaTi but also get the same error message
after following your instructions (5), (6) and (7) below.

below is my machine, from uname -a

FreeBSD prime.oaep.go.th 2.2.8-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE #0: Mon Nov 30 06:34:08 GMT 1998     jkh@time.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386

> Step (5) above looks like you're running make in the /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> directory.

yes i am.

> You need to go to the directory config set up:
>
> (5)    cd ../../compile/NimMarNaRaTi
> (6)    make depend
> (7)    make
> (8)    make install