Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 2012 13:39:11 -0500
From:      Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com>
To:        Rob Farmer <rfarmer@predatorlabs.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make release custom kernel conf not found

Thanks Rob...

I put the kernel conf file in the source tree as opposed to linking to
it and it certainly did compile the custom kernel.

What confuses me (not that I expect you to have the answer) is that
Chapter 9 of the handbook has a tip that recommends keeping the kernel
config in /root/kernels and symlinking to it from the source tree.  If
it doesn't work, why is there a tip recommending this practice?

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Rob Farmer <rfarmer@predatorlabs.net> wro=
te:
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 9:03 AM, Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com> w=
rote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am performing a `make release` to build a new release with a custom
>> kernel. =A0The `make release` fails with the following error:
>>
>> cd /usr/src/release/..; =A0make TARGET_ARCH=3Damd64 TARGET=3Damd64
>> KERNCONF=3DMYKERNEL kernel =A0DESTDIR=3D/R/stage/kernels KODIR=3D/MYKERN=
EL
>> ERROR: Missing kernel configuration file(s) (MYKERNEL).
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/src.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/src.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/src/release.
>> + umount /dev
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/src/release.
>>
>> I have the kernel config at /root/kernels/MYKERNEL and
>> /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/MYKERNEL is a symlink to the kernel config.
>> The applicable environment variables are set in my .profile as
>> follows:
>>
>> BUILDNAME=3D8.2-RELEASE-MYKERNEL-1.1
>> CHROOTDIR=3D/app/release
>> CVSROOT=3D/home/cvs
>> EXTPORTSDIR=3D/usr/ports
>> EXTSRCDIR=3D/usr/src
>> KERNELS=3D"GENERIC MYKERNEL"
>> MAKE_DVD=3DYES
>> NODOC=3DYES
>> NO_FLOPPIES=3DYES
>>
>> I am unsure how to get `make release` to realize the location of the
>> kernel config. =A0Also, I notice that in the command to make the kernel,
>> DESTDIR is set to /R/stage/kernels while the CHROOTDIR (and the
>> location where I want the release to be built) is /app/release.
>>
>> I am wondering if someone knows how I may resolve the issue so I can
>> get the release built. =A0I appreciate any advice and feedback. =A0Thank=
s.

> The kernel is built inside the chroot, so all paths are really
> /app/release/<whatever>. Your symlink points to
> /app/release/root/kernels/MYKERNEL. It will be easiest to get rid of
> the symlink and copy the actual file into your EXTSRCDIR before
> starting the make release; alternately you could use the LOCAL_PATCHES
> or LOCAL_SCRIPT variables to import it.
>
> --
> Rob Farmer

--=20