Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 14:21:03 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru>
Cc:        Blaz Zupan <blaz@si.FreeBSD.org>, qa@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.5-PRERELEASE (25 Dec) and IBM IC35L040AVER07-0

Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 09:11:07AM +0100, Blaz Zupan wrote:
>

>>>You do not use tags, do you?
>>>
>>The default is off I believe and I have not explicitely turned them on, so
>>yes, I'm not using them.
>>

> Those errors were 100% reproducible.
> Now I've commented out 'hw.ata.tags=1' from /boot/loader.conf
> and all errors have disappeared.
>
> I still wonder if it software or hardware incompatibility.

So do I. See http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=i386/29045
Nobody responded to my last post on this pr, and I have no idea
where to go from here without direction. This level of technical
debugging is quite beyond me at this time. But the problem still
exists, it happened again earlier this week (even with the drives
throttled to ata33). What kind of HDD are you using? Personally,
I suspect HW problems, and I seem to recall a few months ago,
someone else with IBM HDDs complaining about the same thing. Have
there been any patches to the ata code that could affect this? If
so, I'll update this machine and see if it continues to be a problem.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology