Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:52:24 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        David Israelsson <david@israelsson.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RMI on FreeBSD

On (2003/11/20 10:19), David Israelsson wrote:

> Has anyone had any success with RMI on FreeBSD?  I can't get the most
> simple test program to work.

RMI has to be working for some cases at least, because it's used heavily
by JBoss, which works on both -CURRENT and -STABLE (for some definition
of works).

> The problem is registering to the naming service.
> java.rmi.Naming.rebind() takes 75 seconds (socket timeout?), and after
> another 45 seconds the program exits.  No exceptions are thrown.

Sounds like a "network problem", which I realize doesn't help you very
much.  If you can find out what TCP port on what host it's trying to
communicate with, you have a chance.

The first thing I always do in these situations is rule out IPv6.  If
you don't use it, turn it off to rule it out.

Ciao,
Sheldon.