Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:00:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/34032: make fails to evaluate some reasonable conditional expressions

The following reply was made to PR bin/34032; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Crist J . Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To: Alan Eldridge <ports@geeksrus.net>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG, sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 13:53:02 -0800

 On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 09:56:43AM -0500, Alan Eldridge wrote:
 [snip]
 > First, we have to decide what is broken.
 >
 > 1. The evaluation should be short-circuited once the value is known.
 >
 > OR
 >
 > 2. The :L and :U (and generally, all the :X suffix) operators should
 >    apply to an undefined variable as if it was defined to "".
 >
 > Which one is right? I think (1) is right; (2) introduces "silent
 > failure" cases where error diagnostics should be produced.

 According to make(1), (1) is right,

      As in C, make will only evaluate a conditional as far as is necessary to
      determine its value.

 In this case, make(1) should never be evauating the "broken"
 code. Since the Makefile syntax of the conditional as a whole is OK,
 provided you don't actually try to evaluate it, I would expect this to
 work.