Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:56:50 -0400
From:      Mike Hauber <m.hauber@mchsi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   portugrade -aR (except)

Greetings, all.

I am running 4.10-Stable, and I have the following question
about portupgrade.

So far, I have not had a successful build of OpenOffice (on
any version of FreeBSD...  ever...  so I use their binaries
as they become available), and the samba port is broken
(until I upgrade the system to 5.x).

What I do now is simply grep a list of installed ports with
updates available and send the outbut to a file. (ie,  #
portversion | grep "<" > ~/pupdate.sh )

Then I edit ~/pupdate.sh so that every line begins with
"portupgrade -R."  (And, of course, I delete the samba and
OpenOffice entries) In other words my file would look
something like this:

#!/bin/sh
portupgrade -R blip
portupgrade -R blop
portupgrade -R bluey
<<<

make it executable, run it overnight, and fix the small
stuff in the morning.

Obviously, because I like to upgrade my systems every week,
this gets old.  Is there any way I can tell portupgrade to
simply portupgrade -aR (except for a specific list of
packages)?

If not, does anyone have a more simple solution?

And again, if not, would this be considered a worthy
suggestion for the developers of /portupgrade?

Thanks