Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 10:48:21 -0400
From:      "Mark Dickey" <mark@bestweb.net>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: my list

PS (Pre-Script):  This was originally addressed to just Greg, but I think,
since it has ideas in it also, it should go to everyone.  Sorry if you do
not agree.

Now, before you read what I say, make sure you know that I am not running
the new list and only know what I have heard from the exisiting e-mails.  (I
also have a good idea what perspective he is coming from, though.)

Also, remember this is all just my opinion, I have no actual facts, just
what I think from what I have seen/thought.

<information about fbsd-newbies chopped>

>> If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
>
>Basically, only one: what will this list do which isn't already
>covered by the FreeBSD lists?
>
>I appreciate your good intentions, but I think you might be going
>about it the wrong way.  There are lots of things for people to do to
>help the FreeBSD project--in your case, I could think of answering
>questions, updating documentation, maybe even helping maintain the
>*official* FAQ (you'll have to discuss that with Doug White if you're
>interested).

Hmmm......Some of what you say is true here.  The intentions are good,
someone wants to help FreeBSD, which is great.  However, you say they could
answer questions, update docs, or work on the official FAQ.  Now, that is
true of someone who has been working with FreeBSD for a while and wants to
help.  But what happens when someone who might not know so much wants to
help with that stuff.

Either information will be directly given to them to add, in which case the
person who assigns it to the person helping must go over the information
first to make sure everything is correct.  Same goes for the docs, and if it
is a newbie, there isn't much chance they can help much with the questions
in freebsd-questions.  (Not true, but those easy questions are answered
almost instantly.  I think anyway, I'm not positive since I don't read many
of them anymore.)

Now, if you ignore the fact that a newbie might not be able to error check
the information entered (for the docs or FAQ) that is absolutely true and I
agree.

>I think we have too many lists already.  From before the inception of
>FreeBSD-newbies, I had long discussions with Sue Blake about whether
>we needed -newbies.  The jury's still out on that one, but I can't
>think of an earthly reason to have another one, especially not one
>which sounds like -newbies.

I'm not sure I agree.  Out of the different lists, if you look at the
usefulness of them to a newbie, FreeBSD question and FreeBSD-newbie are the
only two lists that are possible.  (All the other lists are definetly too
advanced, and I get the feeling that a newbie questions wouldn't be welcome
in the specific ones, such as ISP-Hackers.  Again, I don't know this, but I
rarely see a newbie question in there.)

If you take a look at FreeBSD-questions, it gets a real lot of e-mail, more
than can reasonably be read by each person.  (At least each person that has
a full-time job and has things to do).  That means the newbie would have to
scan through the messages trying to find those that he/she might be able to
find useful/unserstand.  Now, although subjects often will describe a
message, it doesn't help to show if it is a "newbie understandable" message.
That would mean they would have to scan each message itself, which I covered
already.

Now, on the subject of asking a question there, yes, a newbie can do that
and it is probably the orientation of the list.  However, from the amount of
e-mail, and the "non-understandablitity" of most of them to a newbie, it is
a little daunting.  Also, the purpose of the new list is not so much to ask
questions, but to impart what knowledge they have gained and to talk to
others just barely starting up.

Now, my overall opinion is that it would be better if the newbies had a good
place on the FreeBSD-lists and not go somewhere else.  However, if this is
not possible on the existing lists, or I should say on the existing
perspective of the lists, a new list should be created.

What I would say should be done is the FreeBSD-Newbies should keep the same
name, but it should be for those who are just starting FreeBSD and have any
random, very newbie question and/or information they want to ask/share.

What I would like to see is a list where people can ask questions like "how
do I delete a file" and "how do I see/change permissions".  They can also
inpart the information gained when installing FreeBSD on their computer,
like "If you have two hard drives and windows is on the first, you need to
manually install the boot manager from the disk or ftp site by doing ..."

These are reasonable things for a newbie, but if a lot of stuff like this
was added to the already heavy traffic in Free-BSD-questions, it would get
insane for everyone, not just difficult for newbies.

>From these things, a FAQ could be maintained that is organized for newbies.
Such as when the answers for the different questions were posted, whoever
asked originally should send it to the FAQ where it would be added.  Such as
the "delete a file question"  At first the FAQ wouldn't be much help, but it
would build up, answering the specific newbie questions, but having the
information easily available in a way that newbies can use it.  Using the
"delete a file" The faq could contain first just "rm" and a link to the man
page on FreeBSD, but then it would gain "rm -r" and "rm -f"  then maybe
information on creating a small script in place of rm that doesn't delete
the file completetly, but saves the file for a while so it is recoverable.

Things of this sort would be very useful to a newbie.  (My examples arn't
that great, but I hope you get the idea).  This would also create a forum
where just stories about things that happened to them could be shared.

Ok, I think I've wasted too much of your time sending this, and too much of
mine.  :-)  I got a little carried away.  hehe

Anyway, I think this covers what I think pretty well.  (Just let me know if
you want me to send another essay in  :-)  )

>Greg
>--
>See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
>finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

Later all.

Mark Dickey
mark@bestweb.net