Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 1997 22:35:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "J. Utz" <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   This is *really* cool!Re: Yet another snap of the sound code...

Hello again!

just to follow up on my own post.

i am building a kernel for my maui/pas16 machine ( yes, i am a soundcard
geek in waiting, it was one of the reasons why i studied electrical
engineering/dsp!!!!)

i have rebuilt it several times because i have had trouble trying to
figure out how to drive the damn thing! one of the things that is reaally
coll is that my first pass was to just toss my existing config at the new
sound code. Watching the probing routine work is an absolute joy to
behold! It happily fired up my PAS-16 but absolute called bullshit on me
with respect to my attempt to pass of my maui as a roland card:

npx0: INT 16 interface
-- sndtable_probe(3)
-- installing card 0
-- Driver name 'ProAudioSpectrum' probe 0xf01c68f4
-- Hardware probed OK
pas0 at 0x388 irq 10 drq 3 flags 0xffffffff on isa
sndtable_init_card(3) entered
Located card - calling attach routine
 at 0x388 irq 10 dma 3,7
attach routine finished

-- sndtable_probe(1)
-- installing card 1
-- Driver name 'OPL-2/OPL-3 FM' probe 0xf01c1024
-- Failed to find hardware
opl10 not found at 0x38a
-- sndtable_probe(5)
-- installing card 2
-- Driver name 'Roland MPU-401' probe 0xf01c3e68
MPU401: Port 330 looks dead.
-- Failed to find hardware
mpu0 not found at 0x330

notice how the opl10 driver ( the opl3 driver) was handled
notice how it picked up on my trickery on the midi card. the old stuff
probed it as a mpu401 card!

NOW the PROBLEMS!

Basically 2:

Config undefs my maui card and defines an MSS card despite me telling it
to do exactly the opposite...

oops kernel is done! gotta go try it!